Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Stepping Out Of The Shadow To Show The World Our Own Inner Light

"... It's that singular representation of black people … of black women
in society ...
It's that feeling of being told you're not important enough or
worth being recognised."

In the final part of our interview with Marie, creative director and founder of the jewellery line Light of Marie Jewels, we discuss what ‘social invisibility’ means to her, and who she looks up to for mentorship and inspiration. As we conclude the interview, Yaaya asks Marie to highlight her most proudest moments to date and her exciting future projects.

And so the conversation continues …



Social Invisibility & Creating Equal Opportunities

 

Yaaya:
One of our core principles is centred on bringing more attention to social issues that affect black girls and women in Europe. One of these issues is social invisibility. What does 'social invisibility' mean to you?
Marie-M J:
Social invisibility for me is that lack of representation of that … how do I say it, 'singular'? Yes, it’s that singular representation of black people …of black women in society, especially in the media. It's that feeling of being told you're not important enough or worth being recognised. For instance, if you asked me to name a famous black actress in France, I honestly wouldn't be able to immediately give you more than one name [Firmine Richard]. My goodness. Back then and even now.
Yaaya:
Do you feel there are sufficient equal opportunities for black women to showcase their creative talents?
Marie-M J:
Now? Yes, because there are many shows and exhibitions especially those catering for the black community. The only thing is that sometimes they can be very expensive.

Also, what I would say is that there needs to be more [consistent] focus on quality, and we need to learn how to work together better and be more professional. You know, not try to cut corners because I have been to some shows and sometimes I ask myself “why did we do that?” I feel from the bottom to the top we have to demand excellence of others and ourselves.
Yaaya:
If corners are being cut to save money, do you think then the underlying issue is a lack of sponsorship from our black communities and the wider European community?
Marie-M J:
Yes! I'm sure if we did our homework we'd be able to find people to help with sponsorship, we'd be able to do great things. And I think it is good you pointed out getting sponsorship from our black communities. I think this important for women to have more high-quality shows to showcase their work. We [black people] need to support and uplift ourselves.

Yaaya:
You mentioned in passing that you attended the Salon Boucles d’Ebène exhibition, an expo of products and services for the Afro-caribbean community in France. How important do you think such events are for the black community in France?
Marie-M J:
It is a way for us to know what is going on in our culture and a way for us to network and reunite to see each other. Also, I learn so much about my skin and my hair from events like that, because you wouldn't typically find them in the [mainstream] magazines.
Yaaya:
To what extent do you feel these exhibitions do enough to bring national exposure to the interests and cultures of the Afro-caribbean community in France and thus assist with social integration?
Marie-M J:
I think these events are great for the black community. People from other races in France also attend these events, but it is usually because they know other black people. I don't think these events are yet nationalised in a way that would draw all different races of people from all over France to one place. I think what is missing is the backing of the media. As well as inviting the black media stations, we need to also try to invite the other French media too [to do coverage of the events].

Mentors & Role Models

 

Yaaya:
A while ago we posted on our blog the question, “who do you consider to be your mentor/role model?” We pose the same question to you.
Marie-M J:
My role model and mentor would have to be my mum. She worked incredibly hard, I mean I can't remember a day when she was off-sick from work. She is so strong too, such a strong woman, she taught me how to be one: “No-one can stop you from doing what you want to do, no-one can stop you from growing, no-one can stop you from being educated ...”

My dad is also my role model. He also repeatedly told me the same: “You can do it, if you want to become someone you can do it. I know it is going to be hard to do it here [in France] because you have racism, but do not let anyone stop you!” This is what I teach my son. I also mentor my god-daughter, she lives in France and works as a make-up artist.
Yaaya:
As a black woman, how important to you do you think it is to be mentored by (a) a fellow woman, and (b) a fellow black woman?
Marie-M J:
I don't think race or gender is always important when it comes to choosing your mentor. However, what I will say is that I feel I would be able to get more advice from a black woman, because what she went through I might also go through. So in that respect, it might be difficult to completely identify with a white woman, because she might not be able to understand from personal experience what I have or will go through. But as a woman, yes I believe I would be able to get great advice from another woman, full stop.

Celebrating The Journey Thus Far. Celebrating The Journey Ahead.

 

Yaaya:
What would you say are some of your greatest personal and professional achievements to date?
Marie-M J:
My jewellery line! (Laughs). Also, I am going to be going back to school again to get my postgraduate certificate. So it's going to be hard balancing everything, but I am excited and ready.
Yaaya:
What are some of your future projects you are most excited about that our readers should look out for?
Marie-M J:
With my brother, we're trying to set up a foundation in France for people to know more about sickle-cell and how to live with it. In London, there are support groups and services for people with sickle-cell, but not so much in France. So we want to change this and help improve the quality of life for people with sickle-cell.

With my jewellery line I am going to be experimenting more with perspex.
Yaaya:
Perspex … like ‘acrylic glass’?
Marie-M J:
Yes. I love perspex: the cutting and the polishing. I am also looking into designing and making ties using different prints and unusual textiles. I'd love to design my own prints as well.

And So The Conversation Ends … For Now :)

 

Yaaya:
Marie, so what we'd like you to do is complete the following sentences with what immediately comes to mind.

A support system is important because ...
Marie-M J:
It helps people to better develop themselves.
Yaaya:
Ambition to me means ...
Marie-M J:
Growing.
Yaaya:
I still find it a challenge to …
Marie-M J:
To live with my illness.
Yaaya:
Success for me is ...
Marie-M J:
Giving 100% effort and completing a task that I set my mind and heart to do.
Yaaya:
Yaaya to me represents …
Marie-M J:
Women that are naturally confident with their own beauty, history and culture. It is a place to find truths about black women as told by black women.

This post concludes the final part of our interview with Marie-Maimoona Jeannot. Find out more about Marie’s jewellery line via her blog at Light Of Marie Jewels, Twitter at @LightOfMarie and Facebook at @LightOfMarieJewels.

Catch-up on the earlier parts of our conversation:

Part 1: Marie-Maimoona Jeannot, Introducing The Light Of Marie
Part 2: The Becoming Of Her Independence
Part 3: A Perspective: Being A Black Woman In Europe

Image Source | These images do not belong to Yaaya. Images courtesy of Marie-Maimoona Jeannot (Light Of Marie Jewels)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...