Friday, August 23, 2013

Herstory Is Written | 'African Woman Living in Europe' By Becky Oteng

African Woman
Living In Europe

Leaving the sound of the talking drums behind, and on board Lufthansa to Europe, I knew I would never forget what it means to be an African and a very humble beginning!!!

Having been born in Accra in the 70s, grew up in Hamburg, Germany now living and working in both London and France, I must admit that I have indeed been blessed by the Most High for such privilege. Growing up in Germany, there was no sense of belonging, as I was deemed ‘different’ and sometimes [that] made me question my African heritage, but when you have strong parents like mine, you never forgot your roots, they fed you the rich culture of Africa, that was my saving grace. My parents also told my siblings and I that we were all wonderfully and fearfully created as Africans, this became my motto and carried me through when I went to continue my Secondary School education in Ghana.

I finally blossomed into this beautiful African swan and with much input by my grandparents. I fell in love and flew to London, where I was blessed with my gorgeous son and a job that takes me travelling round the UK and the World. I must say no matter where I go or what I allow life to throw at me, oh yes! I get knock down but being the woman that I am, I get up, spring into this beautiful flower, allowing my African heritage to take over.

As my mother always said, no matter how long one stays in Europe, your skin colour will NEVER change and for that I am one VERY proud African woman living in Europe.

~ Becky Oteng
is a diplomat. She has been living in Gravelines, Northern France, for two years.

1 comments :

  1. "you never forgot your roots, they fed you the rich culture of Africa....I finally blossomed....I get up, spring into this beautiful flower,...no matter how long one stays in Europe, your skin colour will NEVER change"

    Great stuff....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...