Friday, August 09, 2013

Juggling Two Hats: Psychology And Interior Design

"The world of
interior design
is full of imagination."

Part 2 of this two-part interview begins with Natalie speaking about what social invisibility means to her and what she believes can be done to raise the visibility of black interior designers. She also addresses the importance of networks of support as well as who she would like to have as a mentor. The discussion concludes with her future ambitions for Bespoke Binny and the pending honours as a doctor in Psychology.

And so the conversation continues …


Social Invisibility

 

Yaaya:
One of the issues that we are very passionate about at Yaaya is bringing more attention to the social invisibility of black women in Europe. Have you ever heard of the term social invisibility before?
Natalie T:
No.
Yaaya:
What first thoughts come to mind when you hear this term?
Natalie T:
I think about not being heard, not being listened to, or being swept under the rug or the carpet or something. That’s what springs to my mind.
Yaaya:
As a young black woman growing up in Britain, how valued or recognised do you feel?
Natalie T:
(Pauses) I don’t think I have felt undervalued. It’s a difficult one for me to answer properly because I’ve always been quite academic, and in a lot of settings I’m the only black girl there, but because of your credentials there is always a certain amount of recognition and respect there. I wonder if I was in a different field,I would feel differently? I’m not sure.
Yaaya:
So would you say that in Britain, academic status and knowledge bring a certain degree of respect?
Natalie T:
I do think it does. It’s not something that I’ve given a lot of thought to, but I do think it does. When you start a new conversation with people, the first couple of questions is “what do you do?” Whether we admit it or not, I’m sure that we make judgements about what someone does for a living, in regards to how we might see that person. It does play such a big role, and its a shame, because there are so many other things that are part of a person’s life which is equally important.
Yaaya:
We understand that you love travelling, and try to visit a new country each year. How do you think black women are viewed and treated in some of the European countries you have visited?
Natalie T:
I have mixed views. If I’m being perfectly honest, there have been countries that I’ve visited where I felt a little bit uncomfortable.
Yaaya:
Which countries were they?
Natalie T:
I remember going to the south of France with my family and we were stared out. It wasn’t like a curious stare, it was almost hostile actually. I remember that quite well, it was not really nice. But equally there have been other European countries I’ve visited where people were very friendly. I went to Belgium in March, and I was actually really surprised at how diverse it was, and it was the first time I’ve ever been.
Yaaya:
When researching black female home interior designers in Europe for this creative industries cycle, we found it difficult to find anyone.
Natalie T:
Really?!
Yaaya:
Do you think there is an underrepresentation of black women in this field?
Natalie T:
I honestly don’t know. I think because of what I’ve been doing, you obviously have to do your research. I have come across other people,so I think they are out there. They’re probably just not getting the platform they deserve.
Yaaya:
What do you think can be done to showcase such people? What platforms could be created for them?
Natalie T:
I think maybe more [media] coverage, like what you’re doing with Yaaya, I think is fantastic. Black magazines, things like that can help get your name out there, the same way any other brand gets out there. It is by PR and getting a name, doing interviews etc. It can be really difficult. I think 'Africa at Spitalfields' really did help, and that was the first time I actually felt like I was running a business. It would be great if there were more of those kinds of things. In addition, having events you’ve attended being written up, which directs people back to find out more about you is brilliant.


Networks of Support

 

Yaaya:
One of the things that Yaaya is very interested in, is highlighting the importance of networks and mentors to support women and girls on a personal and career level. How important do you think networks of support are for young black girls and women in Europe?
Natalie T:
I think [they are] very, very, very important! I think that it’s easy, especially when you don’t see yourself represented out there, or someone that looks like you who is trying to do the same things you’re doing, it's’ very easy to feel disheartened, doubt and second guess yourself. We all need that voice of encouragement, someone who has achieved, which will make you think you can also do it, someone who you can speak to and gain advice. Things like that are really important.
Yaaya:
Do you currently have a mentor or a support network that you can tap into for professional advice or guidance?
Natalie T:
I definitely have a support network in terms of my family and my partner which I’m really grateful for, but I don’t have a mentor, and it’s something that I’ve been giving a lot of thought to recently, because I would like one.
Yaaya:
How do you think you could benefit from a mentor?
Natalie T:
I think just someone who is more experienced, who knows something about your field. When you’re starting out, there are things that you won’t know, but someone who has actually been there before, knows what to expect, point you in the right direction, or give you things to consider and think about. I think a mentor can really boost you and help you get along, otherwise you are stabbing in the dark a little bit. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you won’t.
Yaaya:
If you could choose any mentor, who would it be?
Natalie T:
Ohhhhh. Can I have more than one?
Yaaya:
Sure!
Natalie T:
I would love someone like Cath Kidston. I just love the fact that she grew her business in the middle of a recession. If that’s not inspiration, I don’t know what is. I just love the way she has her home interiors stuff, she has her accessories, and she managed to grow it in a recession. Someone like Oprah too. I would like to find an African interior designer too!
Yaaya:
Who do you look up to, or get inspiration from?
Natalie T:
I know this sounds cheesy, but I look up to my Mum. I really do look up to my Mum as someone that has overcome so much adversity, single mum, and she just keeps going regardless through everything.


Future Ambitions

 

Yaaya:
What can we expect from 'Bespoke Binny' in the next couple of months?
Natalie T:
I’ve got some new product lines coming out. I’m looking into bedding at the moment, duvet and pillow sets and a few other things that I’m exploring, that I will not disclose now. I really want to get my name out there as I am fairly new, and I’m really looking to establish myself as a brand that is associated with being affordable, good quality and vibrant.
Yaaya:
Touching on your other hat as a Psychology professional, where do you see yourself going in the next couple of months?
Natalie T:
Well it’s [counselling doctorate] quite a lengthy course. I’ve just finished year one, I’ve got three more years to go, and so at the moment I’m on break for the summer. I’m just learning as much as much as I can, I am already a trained therapist but I want to know other parts of therapy, and developing a breadth of knowledge.
Yaaya:
Do you see yourself growing Bespoke Binny alongside developing your professional and academic career?
Natalie T:
I do! Time will tell, but I think if you’ve got a passion for something, you will always find time for it. I very much see them as two things that I want to do at the same time. Ultimately what I would like to do is get part time work as a psychologist, and work on Bespoke Binny part time. That is my ideal arrangement, and that is what I’m working on. It’s a such a stressful job [being a Psychologist], so you want an outlet.
Yaaya:
What are your long term goals for 'Bespoke Binny'?
Natalie T:
I would love to be in some stores.
Yaaya:
Any stores in particular?
Natalie T:
I would like to be in a home interior shops like Heals. I love Heals, and Habitat. I can get lost in them. Maybe somewhere like Selfridges. I would really, really love that.

Yaaya:
What is your biggest achievement to date so far?
Natalie T:
Bespoke Binny wise or?

Yaaya:
In general.
Natalie T:
Psychology wise, I would say getting on to this course. If anyone who reads this interview, and is in the field of Psychology, they will know that it is incredibly hard to get onto this course. I applied around this time last year, and really felt like I’ve done it! It was years in the making, so it definitely felt like a massive achievement. Bespoke Binny wise, I think actually managing to establish it,and have people like my products. It’s just so nice when I get a message from someone saying I’ve got your product, and I really love it. It’s so lovely. It makes me happier. So actually getting my stuff out there, and having people like my products in such a short space of time as well is wonderful.


And So The Conversation Ends … For Now :)


Yaaya:
What we would like is for you to complete the following sentences. Feel free to say what immediately comes into your mind.

The world of interior design is ...
Natalie T:
Full of imagination.
Yaaya:
Education serves to ...
Natalie T:
Give a strong foundation but its not everything.
Yaaya:
Being a black woman in Britain today is …
Natalie T:
It’s changing. It’s not much of a sentence, but I think it’s changing.
Yaaya:
Yaaya to me represents …
Natalie T:
Empowerment!
Yaaya:
Thank you for your time Natalie!

This post concludes the final part of our interview with Natalie Obenewa Thompson. Check out some of Natalie's gorgeous bespoke designs for homeware and your everyday accessories like oyster cards and passport holders on her Etsy page.

Catch-up on the earlier parts of our conversation.

Part 1: Natalie Yaa Obenewa Thompson, a.k.a. 'Bespoke Binny'

Image Source | These images do not belong to Yaaya. Images courtesy of Natalie Yaa Obenewa Thompson and the Bespoke Binny Etsy page.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...