Thursday, June 05, 2014

Disarming Ignorance And Empowering The Human Condition One Article At A Time

"To me, it's about being the type of journalist that makes people say ‘yes, I read that and it moved me.’"

Sitting in a busy sandwich shop in Westfield Stratford City, Yaaya welcomed the chance to capture the beginnings of Toyin’s journey of self-discovery as a journalist.

In the second post of our five-part interview, Toyin resolves the cliffhanger of the previous conversation. She candidly shares with us how she got her first internship with Heat magazine using a special formula: mix a little bit of luck with a whole lot of undeniable determination.

And so the conversation continues …

There's No Passenger Seat On A Journey Into Journalism

 

Yaaya:
To quote what you previously said, how did you “blag your way in” to get a job at Heat magazine?
Toyin O:
So I walked in, and I pretended that I knew where I was going (laughs). I got to the reception, and I was like "oh, I've just been here, I am bit lost. I am trying to find Heat". The receptionist directed me to the location, and then I asked to speak to the editorial assistant. I introduced myself and said I was looking for an internship. She was looking at me as if to say, "you are not really supposed to be here," but I asked hopefully "is it possible to get anything [here]?"
Yaaya:
That takes guts.
Toyin O:
I think she sort of liked me, because I was like "anything, I don't mind". I was fortunate because a prospective intern had cancelled the week before. I was like "God is so good!" She took my CV and said she would call in the next half-hour. I walked out, and literally about ten minutes later, she asked "oh, can you come on Monday?" And I said "yes, I'm coming in!" (Laughs).

So I went in on Monday, literally it was so boring I did barely any writing.
Yaaya:
That is unfortunate. But what did you learn from the situation?
Toyin O:
It was a big wake up call, because I sort of realised that this is what journalism is about, it's not always about the glamour. So I stuck it through for the week. Luckily, I was smart because at Bauer Media, the offices have a lot of different publications. So I made a point of making friends.
Yaaya:
Kudos to you for recognising the importance of networking.
Toyin O:
So when my week was coming up, I was referred to an editorial assistant for More magazine who needed somebody for the following week. So I went to More magazine for a week. They realised I was capable, so they started giving me little bit more responsibility. For example, I wrote the captions.

Then after that, I worked at Closer magazine to help out on their web desk. I was asked if I had any web experience, and I have to confess that I blagged it a bit really: "Yeah, I've got it". The work was unpaid. Meanwhile, I was supposed to do something at my retail job, so I sort of called in sick, because for me, I'd rather do this [journalism] for no money than get paid to do something I wasn’t passionate about.
Yaaya:
True.
Toyin O:
So I went in for two weeks, I got to do some much writing for the website. They really liked me so they extended my internship. The web editor went on maternity leave, the assistant editor was away, and the lead writer took the position of the editor, so I was second-in-charge. They got me to do loads of things, and I got to go to all these events. I ended up staying at More for three months. It wasn't paid, but I got so much experience.
Yaaya:
But you left?
Toyin O:
The only reason I left was because I kept trying to get a permanent position there but there were issues with budget. And so it got to a point where my partner was like "babe, if you stay there, they are going to know you are just working for free and let you keep working for free. So you basically just have to step out, have a leap of faith, and hope that the experience you've got [with Heat and More] will get you another job closer to your goal.”

So I left More magazine and continued my work experience at the retail job. Then I applied for another internship, which was paid. I did a lot of internships, I even worked at a construction magazine for a bit. So I got the internship and I went in three days a week. I was supposed to be there for three months, and ended up staying there for six months. However, they couldn't employ me was because they were having to make cuts at the magazine. So I was like "drats ... again! No money!" (Laughs).
Yaaya:
Which magazine was this?
Toyin O:
Mobile magazine, it was a technology magazine. The thing is when I initially applied for it, it was just because it was paid and I would get to write. But I actually loved it! It was a technology magazine, and seemed like it was going to be so dull, but it wasn't. Anything that had to do with mobiles, sim cards, handsets, I would do it.
Yaaya:
Where there any career defining lessons or exciting opportunities in this role?
Toyin O:
Because I was the junior writer, they would send me out onto the streets to get stories. I got to see what kind of journalist I would like to be. While I was there, I got to go to Nice and Monaco for all these mobile technology events. I remember I went to Monaco because Orange were launching a new NFC device. but all the senior writers weren't able to go, so they were like "Toyin, do you want to go? Free holiday, first class ..." Of course I didn’t hesitate to accept. I stayed in a five-star hotel. From my balcony you could see all these beautiful yachts. I was there for a couple of days, I travelled first class. I'd never travelled first class in my entire life! It was amazing.
Yaaya:
Good on you for just putting your hand up for that opportunity. Sometimes an opportunity is just about taking a chance.
Toyin O:
IB Times had hired me because they had seen my writing at Mobile magazine. The job specification was actually for a general news writer, but they really needed a lifestyle writer. I accepted the role, and since then it has just got better and better.
Yaaya:
That’s great.
Toyin O:
Within a short space of time, I have built up lots of experience doing different kinds of writing. And now that I am in the process of starting my own business, I can take with me all the skills I have acquired. I had to do things the hard way, so having to go through all these internships was a blessing in disguise because I got to pick up different skills. So if you wanted me to write a celebrity story, I could that. A hard-core news story, a technology story ... I could do all of that.
Yaaya:
Can you tell us a bit more about this business ... unless if it is confidential?
Toyin O:
Sure, basically I am starting my own online publication. Actually, it's not just an online publication, it's going to be my own brand. It's going to have three branches to it. It's going to be: a YouTube channel, a print magazine, and an online edition. That's my project.
Yaaya:
And you are doing this by yourself?
Toyin O:
Yes ... by myself. I know it sounds really weird, but it's my little baby. Although, I have received advice from family and friends, I have just kept it as my little thing. This is simply because I don't want to feel bad if I don't take their stuff on-board. And if I have a partner, I feel like I will have to make compromises, and for my dream, I don't want to have to make compromises.

If Journalism Is An Art, Who/What is the Journalist’s Muse?

 

Yaaya:
What keeps you motivated? What inspires you?
Toyin O:
On my website, when we write stories, at the bottom of the page, there is an option to leave feedback for my work e-mail address. I get e-mails from people all round the world … from people blasting me (laughs), to people saying how much I have changed their lives.

Depending on what story I write, I'll have people every other day sending me an e-mail. I remember there was a story I wrote in response to a video I saw online, it was about a video that had gone viral of a Malaysian woman beating her child. When I wrote the story, the website at work was going crazy, and people were writing e-mails about how much I had affected them. For example, one woman wrote "I am crying tears right now, and holding my child so tight. I can't believe someone could do this."
Yaaya:
That’s powerful.
Toyin O:
For me, I am motivated to write things that matter: writing that will inform people, change people's lives, and make people see things in a different light.

To me, it's not just about being a journalist, it's about being the type of journalist that will make people say "yes, I read that and it moved me." That's what keeps me going, it's the fact that my writing it getting out there and is being read because the message matters.

Look out for Part 3 of our five-part post, where Toyin talks to Yaaya about why surrounding yourself with the right people can create a powerful circle of influence.

Like this post? Leave your comments below to continue to support Yaaya’s vision of providing platforms to voice powerful stories of incredible women like Toyin. Invite others to join the conversation by sharing this post!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...